Jon’s Blog

Go(o)d Evening Prayers

Go(o)d Evening Prayers

I call to You, LORD, come quickly to me; hear me when I call to You. May my prayer be set before You like incense; may the lifting up of my hands be like the evening sacrifice. Psalm 141.1-2 Lord, at the end of this day I bring to You my evening sacrifice of praise. I...

read more
Go(o)d Morning

Go(o)d Morning

What's the first sound of the day for you?  An alarm clock's insistent beeping  Your mobile phone chirpy tune/favourite track  A newborn or toddler starting to stir or crying out  Kids up and about earlier than you really wanted them to be  The birds outside your...

read more
Go(o)d Morning Prayers

Go(o)d Morning Prayers

As you stir and  start to think about the day that lies ahead, just press pause on all the demands and duties for a moment, the to-do list can wait a while. Silence the need to check your phone or the news, that'll all still be there waiting for you. Right now, create...

read more
Sweeping the floor clean…

Sweeping the floor clean…

Today (29th July) is Day 128 of the official lockdown here in the UK. Although other parts of the country may be experiencing some reprise from the initial restrictions, here in Wales it feels like we are taking our foot off the break much more slowly. Four months and...

read more
Remembering George

Remembering George

Today, as many of you know, was the funeral service for George Watkins. George was 95 years old, and had been coming to Bethel since he was 9! In all that time, George has had a reputation of being a man of integrity, dignity and generosity - so it was a real honour...

read more
Guest Blog: True Humility

Guest Blog: True Humility

Hello to you all who are reading this. It is a privilege to offer these thoughts to you and then point you to a book which has challenged me greatly and one which I hope has helped change my life already and more so in the future. Those changes have been positive in...

read more
Letter to the Class of 2020

Letter to the Class of 2020

Dear Class of 2020 Take a deep breath – you made it! 2020 has been a really strange year, one that none of us saw coming, but however hard or exciting or stressful or lonely you found it – the point is, you made it through. We are incredibly proud of you for the way...

read more
The Beauty That Remains

The Beauty That Remains

I had walked past the sink a number of times yesterday, and kept noticing the rising stack of washing up that was spreading like jungle weeds, and invading the surface of the kitchen. Eventually I sighed deeply and accepted that I was going to have to start battling...

read more